Ugh. That is your immediate reaction to the thought of cleaning your brushes right? That one chore that nobody really wants to do…
And yet…WE NEED TOO!!!! Because they get super nasty!
Here are some things that WILL happen if you DON’T clean your brushes.
- Your pores will get clogged up, acne, breakouts. etc.
- You could get staph infection (YES! This is very true!) “Through daily use, makeup brushes can accumulate dead skin cells, dirt, oil, pollution, and bacteria,” says Dr. Debbie Palmer, dermatologist and co-founder of Dermatology Associates of New York. “These includes staphylococcus, streptococcus, and e coli, fungus, and viruses.” Think this sounds far-fetched? An Australian woman contracted a staph infection after sharing makeup brushes with a friend, leaving her paralyzed in the legs and arms.
- Your makeup will look worse.
- You could get pink eye.
- Your skin will get irritated.
- You will waste money…let’s face it if you take care of your items…they WILL last longer.
- Bugs. Actual, Literal Bugs!!!!!! YouTube beauty guru Stevie Miller found an actual infestation of bugs in her unwashed Beauty Blender!
Did you know that some makeup brushes are made with animal hair? Real animal hair. Nasty, nasty, nasty. Mind you, these animals did NOT offer up there hair willingly and we can safely assume that the scientists did not spend hours scouring the ground looking for naturally shed hairs either. That would be a funny sight though!
Here are some pros to using vegan & cruelty free brushes:
- They’re easier to clean.
- They REPEL bacteria and dirt better than animal hair does.
- They work with both cream and powder makeup products.
- They shed less.
In my opinion there are many many wins to choosing cruelty free and vegan beauty products. It is better for the environment and you!
Watch My Video to learn how to clean your brushes!
In my video I talked about my Arbonne brushes. I would HIGHLY recommend them, they feel super soft, are made out of natural reclaimed wood and are dyed with water-based pigment. Not to mention they are VEGAN AND CRUELTY-FREE! The set comes with, Liquid Foundation, Powder, All Over Eye, Shading, Slant and Cheek. Plus they come in a super sweet travel bag (it’s not advertised that way I would just recommend it because it is best to store your brushes upright.) The set is only $40 (American) and has a 45 day money back guarantee if you don’t like them. So don’t hesitate to check them out if you are in need of a new brush set or just want to switch it up! Buy Here
However, If you are just not into getting the Arbonne brushes here is a list of other cruelty-free brushes. Note I am not saying vegan because not all of them are. I am also not speaking the company itself because there brushes could be cruelty-free but there makeup products may not be. So keep those things in mind.
- Kat Von D Beauty
- Luxie Beauty
- Wet n Wild
- Flower Beauty
- Too Faced Cosmetics
- The Body Shop
- EcoTooks’ (I use these along side my Arbonne brushes and love them)
- Furless Cosmetics
Well there you have it folks. I hope you enjoyed this blog and my video! Tune in next monday for another beauty tip.
As always, thank you so much for reading and please don’t hesitate to subscribe and comment!