Let’s move past all of the gender BS shall we? You know what I mean, where woman are the dominants in the beauty industry, that skincare is only for woman, looking good and feeling confident is only for women, etc. The beauty industry is for everyone.
Let me say that again.
THE BEAUTY INDUSTRY IS FOR EVERYONE.
Unfortunately, skincare frequently gets lumped into the “beauty” category and, as a result, becomes a topic of only feminine concern.
But what about the guys?
As far as I am concerned, skin is skin, and caring for skin is CRUCIAL to EVEYONE’S health. Healthy skin not only looks good but it stays looking good longer.
I am sick of hearing about the latest fragrance’s for men, top-notch trimmers, deodorants, and shaving creams. I get it, they get it, we ALL get it.
It begs the question, why aren’t we taking about men’s skincare more. MEN NEED TO CARE. We all need to.
Here is a nugget of wisdom, body organs ARE not all INTERNAL, like the liver, heart, and brain. Our skin is THE LARGEST ORGAN in the human body. The largest barrier we have against infection is OUR SKIN. This layer maintains skin’s overall hydration AND serves as our primary defense against the environment, so keeping it strong and healthy is CRITICAL, no matter color, race, or gender.
Want to know something gross? Adults carry some 8 pounds and 22 square feet (2 square meters) of skin! Trust me when I say it does a lot more than make us look presentable. In fact, without it, we’d literally evaporate.
“Skin acts as a waterproof, insulating shield, guarding the body against extremes of temperature, damaging sunlight, and harmful chemicals. It also exudes antibacterial substances that prevent infection and manufactures vitamin D for converting calcium into healthy bones. Skin additionally is a huge sensor packed with nerves for keeping the brain in touch with the outside world. At the same time, skin allows us free movement, proving itself an amazingly versatile organ.” -Direct Quote from National Geographic.
Why is this?
- Because men are LESS LIKELY to keep an eye on their skin, they are more at risk of having an advanced melanoma requiring radical treatment. Statistics show more than 50 percent of the current annual melanoma deaths in the U.S. are white men, 50 years and older.
- Men are typically out in the elements more than women, subjecting their skin to more UV rays, environmental pollution, wind damage, and other factors that all work together to age the skin, producing wrinkles and hyper-pigmentation.
Men love to talk about eating well, fitness, and staying healthy in the ways that sound more masculine. Not all men, of course. I am not trying to gender stereotype, I am just speaking in broad generic terms. We can talk about protein shakes, supplements, and exercising until we are blue in the face but more often then not, men are neglecting taking care of a vital organ, their skin.
Might I just say again, HEALTHY SKIN IS ESSENTIAL FOR GOOD HEALTH. For EVERYONE.
Ok, Men, this is WHY you need to start a good skincare routine:
- Men are the lucky ones in that their skin ages more slowly than women’s skin. Men naturally have more collagen and elastin, which makes for firmer and thicker skin overall. In fact, men’s skin is approximately 25% thicker than women’s skin! When aging signs do appear, they start around the eyes with dark circles, bags and wrinkles.
- A regular cleansing routine is very important, since men have larger pores, which can clog easily.
- Men’s skin is typically more oily due to having high levels of the androgen hormone.
- Vitamin E (which is in a a good skincare) can help to heal cuts and redness experienced from shaving.
- As men age and their testosterone levels drop, their skin tends to become drier and they will have to switch up their cleansing products accordingly. Men should use a good moisturizer and might also want to consider a hydrating mask for a deep clean and added hydration.
- Men shouldn’t ignore is that males over 50 are at the HIGHEST risk of developing melanoma. (As I stated Above.)
In the end, I just want you to care. Care enough about yourself to make a big difference.
Thank you all for reading this! I will post another health/beauty tip next monday! If you have requests for any topics let me know in the comments below!
Don’t forget to subscribe if you like this post! It would mean a lot to me.
LET’S STAY CONNECTED
Now this guy is a crowd favorite and it is only $28! Insane. Remember all Arbonne Product are vegan, cruelty free, gluten-free, and chemical free. DM me on facebook and we can talk more.